Tuesday, January 5, 2010

DayZero part 2


Day Zero

Hello world! This is Amina and first off, I just want to say to all my friends and family that I couldn’t reach out to, that WE MADE IT!!! We got in around 8:30 Nicaragua time. When we first arrived, I was very shocked to notice that the airport didn’t look to far off from ours. I guess I was expecting the plane to land in a field and we walk off the plane into a van. It also relieved a lot of anxiety to finally arrive in Nicaragua.

When we got into the van, the first thing we saw was a bat, which scared me. We also put all of our luggage on top of the van, which was a little not America. Traveling to CEPAD (the place that we are staying) was interesting. What we saw was so similar to what we were used to. There was Shell gas stations and On the Run convenience stores and even good old McDonalds. There was also a lot of people just out on the streets hanging out. What really struck me while we were driving was that when we were stopped at a light, a little boy about 7 years old came knocking on the window and just waved at us. It was weird that he was just alone on the street.

My first impression of CEPAD was that it was much better that I expected. The beds are kind of flat and you cant put toilet paper in the toilet, but generally, I feel comfortable here. I feel content and am just going to take this experience one day at a time. It helped me personally a lot that as a group, we connected before we came here. I feel so much more comfortable knowing that we are all experiencing this for the first time together and we can all relate to each other.

Lastly, to my parents, I love you guys and thank you for supporting me and allowing me to go. And to Booby, I love you so so so so much and miss you and my kitties. I hope your holding the house down(and the laundry ).

Goodnight World.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Amina...

    I'm glad to see that you've finally made it to Nicaragua!!! Do great things; learn a lot; and be happy that you're missing out on this arctic blast that is sweeping the northeast ( it was 18 degrees when I left for work this morning with a windchill factor of 9 )

    Best wishes to you and all of Team Nicaragua 2010!

    -Howard Batchelor

    ReplyDelete